Assessment of carvacrol paste as endodontic medication associated with laser photobiomodulation in tissue repair: an experimental study in rats
This study aimed to analyze the tissue reaction caused by carvacrol paste associated or not with laser photobiomodulation (LPBM) at λ660 nm in the subcutaneous tissue of rats. Sixty Wistar rats were divided into four groups and they received the following interventions: subcutaneous implantation of empty polyethylene tubes (CTR), implantation of tubes containing carvacrol paste (CVC), implantation of empty tubes and LPBM (LLLT), and implantation of tubes containing carvacrol paste and LPBM (CVCLT). The animals were euthanized at three, eight, and 15 days after surgery. The inflammatory reaction and fibroplasia were analyzed histomorphometrically. Significant differences among the groups were determined by ANOVA and Tukey's test (p<0.05). In the 3-day period, the CVCLT group had low inflammatory infiltration (p<0.01). In the 8- and 15-day periods, the LLLT and CVCLT groups presented a low amount of lymphocytic inflammatory infiltrate (p<0.01 and p<0.05). Regarding the formation of fibrous tissue, the CVC group had the highest formation of type III collagen in the 8-day period (p<0.001). In the 15-day period, the CVCLT group had a lower formation of type I collagen than the CTR and LLLT groups (p<0.05). The use of the carvacrol paste associated with photobiomodulation optimizes the inflammatory period and tissue repair.
The Bioscience Journal uses the Creative Commons (CC) license, thus preserving the integrity of the articles in an open-access environment and ensuring the rights of the authors:
- The publication reserves the right to make normative, spelling, and grammar changes in the original documents to maintain a refined standard language but respecting the style of the authors;
- The original documents will not be returned to the authors;
- The authors hold all the rights to their work published in the Bioscience Journal and their full or partial reprint. Deposit or republication is subject to the express authorization from the editor of the journal, fomented through the CC-BY license;
- The original source of publication should be acknowledged;
- The opinions expressed by the authors of the articles are their sole responsibility.