Harvesting delay in physiological quality of soy seeds
Soybeans are a grain-producing species of high international demand and occupy a prominent position in the Brazilian economy. The success of this crop in Brazil is due to public and private investments in production technologies and to breeding programs. It is through the seed that the genetic advances reach the producer. In this context, the success of a cultivar and high productivity depend on the quality of the seed. In view of the above, the objectives of the study were to evaluate the physiological quality of soybean cultivar seeds at different harvesting times. The experiment was conducted in an experimental area located at Fazenda Capim Branco, belonging to the Federal University of Uberlândia, in the 2016/2017 harvest. Ten soybean cultivars were evaluated (CD 2737 RR, UFUS 7415, UFUS 7910, UFUS Milionária, UFUS 7801, NA 5909 RG, UFUS 8301, TMG 7062 IPRO, UFUS Xavante and UFUS 6901) at four harvest times (R7, R8, R8+15, R8+30), constituting a 10 x 4 factorial. The experiment was carried out in a randomized complete block design with four replicates. For the evaluation of the physiological quality, germination, electrical conductivity and fresh matter and dry matter of seedlings tests were performed. In all tests the physiological quality of the seeds decreased with the harvest delay. Emphasis was placed on the cultivar NA 5909 RG, which showed the best means to delay the harvest in 15 and 30 days.
The Bioscience Journal uses the Creative Commons (CC) license, thus preserving the integrity of the articles in an open-access environment and ensuring the rights of the authors:
- The publication reserves the right to make normative, spelling, and grammar changes in the original documents to maintain a refined standard language but respecting the style of the authors;
- The original documents will not be returned to the authors;
- The authors hold all the rights to their work published in the Bioscience Journal and their full or partial reprint. Deposit or republication is subject to the express authorization from the editor of the journal, fomented through the CC-BY license;
- The original source of publication should be acknowledged;
- The opinions expressed by the authors of the articles are their sole responsibility.